Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Food! Farming! Festivity!


I think that like anything, food is a very necessary part of the cultural celebration of a big event. In shivarees, where the community comes together to give approval of a marriage, it would make sense that food would be such a large part of the celebration. I like the part on page 242 that said "food is extraordinary in its ordinariness" because I think that is very relatable. This makes me think of the state fair. In my family, the state fair is a very big deal. It is the first event of many to welcome Autumn. At the state fair, we don't ride any of the rides, we go to eat the food. I can get a corn dog any day of the week from a fast food restaurant, but it is the cultural identity of the state fair that is associated with corn dogs, the familiarity that comes to mind when I think of being at the state fair with my family and friends eating corn on the cob, smothered in fresh butter and cheese. Each of these foods are ordinary in nature, but it is the sense of community, just like in the shivarees, that makes them extraordinary. 
I think there is also something important about the way the essay mentions that in farming culture, the woman could've called authorities when the boys broke in and slaughtered the chickens, but the authorities were a few hours away and it was more important to preserve the relationship with the boys. There would be more celebrations, she would see them often, so it was important for her to preserve that sense of community. Ultimately, I think this is what farming and festivity is all about, preserving a strong sense of community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment